Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ode To A Potato Masher

This potato masher is probably the most used piece of kitchen equipment that I own. No joke. I use it most often for the function you see in the picture above; crumbling meat while it cooks. Specifically Italian sausage, the most used ingredient in my kitchen. I also use it to mix, kneed and stir a wide variety of things that I cook.  It is almost always out of the drawer and if I can see it I am using it.

My potato masher is without a doubt the most versatile utensil that resides in my kitchen.

Come to think of it... there are a number of things that I absolutely love in this picture.

My Calphalon pans given to me by my Grandma Trant when I stupidly got married the first time.
Sweet onions. Yum.
Paper plates; the invention that saves my sanity not the rainforest.
A cotton kitchen towel that says "I am not a paper towel" (it cancels out the paper plates).
My Kettle of Fish that was given to me by my Grandma Schantz when I was in college. It is the thing that makes every kitchen in every house I have ever lived in feel like her kitchen did; home.

2 comments:

Brad said...

I agree, I use my masher all the time.

Jenn said...

I don't own one. Maybe I should pick one up some time.

An alternative to paper plates are the bamboo ones that you can buy. Also bamboo utensils and what not. Something to think about :)