Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Roasted Golden Beets

On my way out the door this afternoon on a rare trip to Whole Foods, the Elder Food Taster instructed me to get something "colorful" to make as a side dish for hamburgers.
I saw these babies and fell in love.

Which is weird because beets are definitely not my usual thing. My mother loves beets. The hideous canned kind of beets. I mostly just like the hard boiled eggs that you soak in the beet juice. But I digress...
I sliced them in thin rounds, tossed them in olive oil, accidentally seasoned them with the Italian seasonings grinder instead of the black pepper grinder, and roasted them in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes. Voila!
Next time I am making them into home made chips because they were fabulous!

5 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

Oh, winter root vegetables. I love them so much and my husband won't eat them. So I have to buy them in small batches for myself.

Katiedidtoo said...

On sale at Whole Foods!! 2.99 for the perfect size bunch of 3 beets. Luckily I hit it at the exact moment that my 6 month supply of Whole Foods Shampoo ran out. Score!

Jenn (aka Defunkt Gourmet) said...

These look gorgeous! I heart beets :)

Dr John Peragine said...

Elder Food Taster here. Uhh I am not a big beet eater...But these were AWESOME...Hard to describe the taste- very buttery savory. Kinda like carmelized onions.

Brad said...

Fresh roasted beets are great I think. Thanks for commenting for my cookbook giveaway!