Saturday, February 27, 2010

Purple Sweet Potatoes

I'm an Iowan. Supporting the family farmer has been a critical social, political, and personal issue for me my entire lifetime.

Here in North Carolina it is even more critical. This state has a population that is increasing at a rate of 16 % or more. With over 9,000,000 people in the state it is a staggering figure. The loss of farm land continues to be devastating to the economy. I live in Winston Salem; the home of RJ Reynolds and his tobacco empire. When the market for tobacco imploded, farmers all over the state were left without options. Land that once produced a commodity now sits under new housing developments.

I just like to support the local farmers. Wherever I am. Organics have definitely filled some of the gaps left by tobacco. So today I am in Whole Foods again.

Hello, my name is Kate, and I am a Whole Foods Produce Department Addict...

They hooked me today with Stokes Purple Sweet Potatoes.
Who can resist a beautiful purple potato when the guys who grew it are in a picture right on the display? Please; they are purple freakin potatoes people!

I made a pie recipe from the Stokes Purple Sweet Potatoes web site. I baked 4 small to medium potatoes and mashed them. I took some pictures before they were mashed and let's just say I'd rather  leave it an unshown mystery.
But here they are mashed and ready to be pied.

The pie turned out as spectacular as it looks. The Stokes Purple Custard Pie recipe is on the  Stokes Purple Sweet Potatoes website and the only modification I made was to substitute the spices that were called for with Apple Pie Spice. That's just how I roll.

And no I do not work for or get paid in any way to represent these guys.
I'm writing it just because I think they are cool.
And because I got to make a purple pie.

No comments: