Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Fat Tuesday Po-Boys

I love New Orleans. I am from waaay up river, but I view New Orleans to be the culmination of the cultures from up and down the Mighty Mississippi. As far as Fat Tuesday goes... well Lent is something that even us non-church going folk with some Catholic heritage take seriously. Next weeks Fat Tuesday is the last hurrah before you enter the Lenten season that will last until Easter.

We love Italian beef in our house. Chicago style Italian beef to be specific. When Cajun Chef Ryan posted a gorgeous picture and recipe for a roast beef Po-Boy with a gravy that is similar to those I decided to make it as a Geaux Saints Super Bowl Victory/Fat Tuesday feast. Wow. Was that ever a good choice! Here's my version:

 

Roast Beef Po-Boy Gravy
Saute 1/2 an onion sliced thin in a little olive oil until soft. Add 2 Cups beef stock, 1 Tablespoon each of Worcestershire Sauce and A-1 Steak Sauce.  Make a 1/4 Cup dark roux; I used olive oil and flour. Add the roux to the stock and boil for 20 minutes. Add 1 pound of thinly sliced deli roast beef and heat through. 

Assemble the Po-Boys by slicing french rolls in half and put mayonaise on both sides. (Dukes here in Carolina we can't get Blue Plate) Add shredded lettuce and pickles. (We left out the tomatoes because, Hello! It's February!) Add some roast beef and as much gravy as you like. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say when you make these for your Fat Tuesday Feast next week; you will probably end up with at least one of these sloppy wet Po-Boy's in your dreams too between now and Easter.

2 comments:

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Wow! How cool is this blog post? Thank you so much for the plug and for taking on a wonderful N'Awlins favorite sandwich, the Roast Beef Po-Boy! In fact, my step-son made these also for Super Bowl Sunday.

CCR
=:~)

Dr John Peragine said...

mmm mm...everytime I see it. I want some more.