Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pork Souvlaki Craving


I crave Pork Souvlaki on a regular basis. You could offer it to me at any time day or night and I would jump at the chance to eat it. There is something about lemon and garlic... I would eat anything with lemon, garlic and olive oil poured over it.  Probably not peas. Everything else.

Our community has a surprisingly large Greek population. There's even a Greek Festival at the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church next weekend! I will be there eating Loukoumades and Souvlaki until I need a nap. Any other day there are dozens of Greek restaurants to choose from. Except Sunday. On Sunday you are on your own. Here is my standard "It's Sunday and I need to have Souvlaki" recipe.

Souvlaki 
2 pound pork tenderloin marinated in olive oil, lemon juice and crushed garlic.
Grill pork for 35-45 minutes and let rest. Cut into Cubes.
(traditionally you cube it first, then marinate, then grill on kabob skewers)

Assemble into sandwiches with
pita bread
red onion slices
bell pepper slices
lettuce
my version of tzatziki sauce:
plain Greek yogurt or sour cream mixed with shredded cucumber and a little garlic
(I am tempted to add more lemon and olive oil to the mix next time...)

We had it tonight with a chilled Riesling and it was delicious!!





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Brad said...

I like the souvlaki too but haven;t had it in quite awhile, thanks for the recipe, now I can make it anytime